Product Update: Nectar Pro and Ozone Pro
Announcing new updates for Nectar Pro and Ozone Pro! Use smarter processing to mix vocals faster, with EQ updates, real-time Assistant controls, and more. Get better-sounding final masters with improvements to Ozone's EQ setting. Watch the video to learn more!
We’re excited to unveil our latest updates to
Nectar 3 Plus
Ozone 11 Advanced
And we’re just getting started. Even more exciting Assistant updates are on the horizon—and subscribers get them for free!
Read on to learn more about your latest Nectar Pro and Ozone Pro updates, and watch this video to hear about the new updates directly from Principal Product Manager Dan Gonzalez.
What’s new in Nectar Pro?
Real-time interaction, more control
We’ve updated the settings in Nectar Pro’s Vocal Assistant to give you more creative control.
- When you run Vocal Assistant, Nectar Pro generates different configurations in the background and lets you easily A/B each suggestion in real time.
- We’ve added an Intensity slider in place of static presets. This controls the strength of Nectar’s processing. Like the Tone controls, you can audition Nectar’s processing in real time, rather than having to run the Assistant again and again.
- You can now set the Tone of your audio for specific vocal sounds. Together with the Intensity slider, these new “Tone Cards” give you nearly unlimited combinations of different vocal sounds to play with. The chart below outlines the sound of each of these options.
- Nectar remembers your audio. If you close Vocal Assistant, Nectar saves your settings so you don’t have to re-run the assistant to make changes.
- Vocal Assistant now listens to your audio before presenting you with suggestions to create truly personalized results. After the listening pass, all further adjustments you make happen in real time. No need to do multiple listening passes!
Sung and spoken vocal detection
Professional engineers know there’s a huge difference in mixing vocals in different musical contexts. As such, Nectar Pro can now detect a sung or rapped vocal, and can narrow down the best range of options for your performance.
You can also manually select the vocal type:
- Rap: For spoken vocals or dialogue, Nectar Pro creates a more dry, up-front preset. This configuration will tend to avoid reverb processing.
- Spoken: Similar to rap vocals, Vocal Assistant will create a dry preset suitable for dialogue in a non-musical context.
- Sing: Nectar Pro will add additional effects such as reverb, and use more subtle EQ targets.
Nectar Pro builds a vocal chain based on the vocal it detects. We encourage you to play with the Tone controls on different types of vocals and try different approaches!
Pro Tip: If you get an unexpected result, you can always manually select your vocal type in the Vocal Assistant menu.
Personalized character EQ
Nectar Pro now uses improved processing to make smarter EQ decisions for your audio.
Vocal Assistant can create a preset tailored to your audio. This is implemented in the second EQ in the vocal chain after you run Vocal Assistant. The EQ will now only boost or cut when your audio is “off-target”, as determined by Vocal Assistant’s Tone settings. If your audio is already within the set tonal range, no EQ changes will occur in that region.
Vocal Assistant is now even smarter about constructing its module chain with EQ. Any compression will now take place between your EQs to avoid affecting your tone. In addition, EQ 1 now tracks pitch automatically, so you you can have two EQs in your vocal chains that have two specific roles:
- EQ1: Subtractive EQ changes that clean your audio
- EQ2: Character EQ that affects the Tone of your vocal
Pro Tip: Did Vocal Assistant give you a great setting? Save it as a preset for later use!
What’s new in Ozone Pro?
We have big plans in store for Ozone’s Master Assistant, but for now we’re laying the groundwork with under-the-hood updates to Master Assistant’s EQ. In addition to minor fixes and updates, you can expect:
- EQ Improvements: We received feedback from some users that Master Assistant sometimes made low-end decisions that weren’t appropriate to their specific audio. We’ve upgraded the logic of both the Dynamic EQ and the Equalizer to avoid cutting low end if your music is within a good range for bass.
- [If You Missed It] EQ Scaling: In addition, we’ve recently added a new EQ scaling control to Ozone Pro. This was a much-requested feature that lets you scale the gain intensity of all your EQ nodes at once. This lets you easily tailor any EQ setting to your audio without losing the overall EQ curve. If you haven’t already checked it out, what are you waiting for?
As mentioned above, you’ll be seeing even more Ozone updates very soon. These will focus on:
- Improving loudness and clarity
- Speeding up the Master Assistant workflow
- Upgrading the controls in Master Assistant
We hope you enjoy the new functionality. Happy mixing and mastering!